Healthy friendships are vital to life, so it’s important that we have good friends and that we become good friends to others. God invented friendship, so His Word is the ultimate source for determining how to do it right. Here are a few key traits that should be present in any healthy friendship.
1. Friends Forgive. Friends don’t bring up old dirt and gossip about each other. They forgive and seek forgiveness with transparency and humility.
“Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends.” Proverbs 17:9
2. Friends love unconditionally! They are there for you when you need them most, not just when it’s convenient.
“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” Proverbs 17:17
3. Friends have your back! Loyalty is vital to friendship. There’s no such thing as a “frenemy”.
“There are “friends” who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.” Proverbs 18:24
4. Friends tell you the truth. Even when it’s hard to hear, friends will speak the truth in love.
“An honest answer is a sign of true friendship.“ Proverbs 24:26
5. Friends make each other better!
“As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” Proverbs 27:17
6. Friends communicate openly.
“I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” John 14:15
Let’s all strive to live out these traits in our own relationships and I believe our friendships will become more enriching, fulfilling and God-honoring.